How often should we update (Raspberry Pi)

As a Pi owner I usually run apt update/upgrade whenever there’s a security announcement or when I haven’t done it for a while, and usually there’s no need to reboot.

However, with the ADSB-x setup, it always seems to need a reboot, so I’m wondering when and how often we need to update?

Honestly you rarely if ever need to update the feeder in the standard config and there has not been an update released to the feeding software in over a year. If you have SSH or anything forwarded to the outside though you should keep updates on the Pi. Be advised there is a bug right now that updating to the Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm will break MLAT so I would not upgrade the OS version for the time being until we can update our repository.

Thanks for that! My ADSBX box is on my network but isolated from everything else, so should be okay. Very impressive software by the way - really designed with users in mind!

How did you isolate it from the rest of your network? I tried doing that using the Guest side of my router, but that didn’t work.

I have a small network of 3 boxes other than the ADSB box. I already run the Linux ufw firewall on the other boxes, so I just set up rules on the other boxes to not allow access to the ADSB box. It may not be perfect, but it works.

Ok, thanks for the help!